The Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act (also known as FFATA or the Transparency Act) requires that information on federal awards be made available to the public via a single, searchable website. The federal government has been submitting data on prime awards since January 2008 and sub-award reporting requirements began for contracts on July 1, 2010 and for grants on October 1, 2010. The data is reported through the Federal Subaward Reporting System (FSRS.gov) and viewable by the public through USASpending.gov.
The reporting requirements apply to individual Federal grants and contracts, as follows
- Prime grant awardees, in accordance with 2 CFR Chapter 1, Part 170 REPORTING SUB-AWARD AND EXECUTIVE COMPENSATION INFORMATION, are required to file a FFATA sub-award report if:
- the prime grant is equal to or greater than $30,000 and a sub-grant equal to or greater than $25,000 is awarded after October 1, 2010.
- the prime grant is equal to or greater than $30,000 and a sub-grant equal to or greater than $30,000 is awarded after November 12, 2020.
- Prime contract awardees of Federal contracts or orders subject to Federal Acquisition Regulation clause 52.204-10, Reporting Executive Compensation and First-Tier Subcontract Awards:
- Phase 1: Prime award greater than $20M, awarded on or after July 1, 2010
- Phase 2: Prime award greater than $550K, awarded on or after October 1, 2010
- Phase 3: Prime award greater than $25K, received on or after March 1, 2011
- Phase 4: valued greater than or equal to $30,000, reporting starts October 1, 2015.
The reporting is due by the end of the month following the month the sub-award/sub-contract is fully executed (signed by the University of Iowa). The data that awardees are required to report is essentially, basic information about the subrecipient.
The Division of Sponsored Programs collects most of the required data through the sub-award/sub-contract documents. Grant Accounting utilizes this data to submit the required reports on behalf of the university. If you have any questions about the reporting, please contact Grant Accounting.
Last Updated: 02/14/2023