What are the uses of subcomponents?
- To restrict or track funds that are to be used exclusively for specific expenses and are not allowed to be re-budgeted (e.g. ARRA funds). This is determined by Grant Accounting.
- To track different F&A rates (e.g. administrative component vs. participant component) or F&A rate changes. This is determined by Grant Accounting.
- To track budget and expenditures between Principal Investigators (PIs) or Departments.
- To track different cores and projects associated with center grants.
- To track specific types of costs (subcontracts) or tasks to allow for easier billing and reporting.
When are subcomponents established without the request of the department?
- When the award includes restrictions or special F&A requirements.
Who has the authority to request subcomponents?
- The PI or department that is listed on the AAAN.
How are new subcomponents requested?
- After a grant/contract is awarded, the PI or department can notify their Grant Accounting contact by email to request that (a) new subcomponent(s) be established. A budget breakdown may be required for each new subcomponent.
- The PI/department generally can choose any two digits for subcomponents, except for -77, -86, -87, -96, or -97 which are used centrally to identify specific types of awards, as follows:
- -77 - Undergraduate Student performing research training – stipends for undergraduate students participating in research training program (NSF-REU), not including: fellowships (NIH, NASA) or sponsors that requires direct appointments.
- -86 – Restricted Supplements for Training Grants – stipends for individuals not enrolled in formal course work
- -87 – Training Grants, Fellowships, Scholarships – stipends for individuals not enrolled in formal course work
- -96 – Restricted Supplements for Training Grants – stipends and tuition for individuals enrolled in formal course work
- -97 Training Grants, Fellowships, Scholarships – stipends and tuition for individuals enrolled in formal course work
Note: While the use of multiple subcomponents may be necessary for reporting or tracking purposes, it also increases the complexity of the financial management of the award. Thus, the use of subcomponents should be considered carefully.
Last updated: 12/01/2022